Actor Gary Busey Charged with Sex Offenses in Cherry Hill
September 3, 2022
Actor Gary Busey was charged with several counts of sex crimes after he was alleged to have groped at least three individuals while attending a horror convention in Cherry Hill, NJ
Busey Faces Charges Related to Groping Incidents
Police in Cherry Hill have charged Busey with two counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual contact and one count of attempted criminal sexual contact, in addition to a charge of harassment. Busey was attending the Monster-Mania convention at the Doubletree Hotel on Route 70 over the weekend of Aug. 12 to Aug. 14. The semiannual convention is centered around horror films and is frequented by actors and performers for meet-and-greets with fans.
The convention promoter contacted the police after multiple fans complained about Busey’s conduct. Organizers also removed Busey from the convention and instructed him not to return. The promoter has also urged attendees who may have been subjected to inappropriate conduct by Busey to contact the police.
What Are the Penalties for Criminal Sexual Contact in New Jersey?
Busey was charged with criminal sexual contact and attempted criminal sexual contact. In New Jersey, this offense is defined as intentionally touching the intimate parts of another person (whether above or below clothing) for the purposes of degrading or humiliating the victim or for the perpetrator’s sexual arousal or gratification. The grading of a criminal sexual contact charge may be increased if the offense takes place under one of the following circumstances:
- The perpetrator uses physical force or coercion to commit the offense
- The victim is a probationer, parolee, or medical/mental health patient and the perpetrator has some supervisory power or status over the victim
- The victim is at least 16 years old but less than 18 years old and related to the perpetrator, is the perpetrator’s foster child or ward, or the perpetrator has supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim
- The victim is at least 13 years old by less than 16 years old and the perpetrator is at least four years older than the victim
Aggravated criminal sexual contact may be charged if:
- The victim is at least 13 years old but less than 16 years old and the perpetrator is related to the victim to at least the third degree, had supervisor or disciplinary power over the victim, or was a resource parent or guardian or stood in loco parentis to the victim
- The offense occurred during the commission or attempted commission of a robbery, kidnapping, aggravated assault, burglary, arson, criminal escape, or homicide
- The perpetrator was armed with a weapon or perceived weapon that was used in a threatening manner
- The perpetrator was aided and abetted by one or more persons and used physical force or coercion
- The perpetrator knew the victim was physical or intellectually incapacitated or incompetent
Criminal sexual contact and attempted criminal sexual contact are normally charged as fourth-degree crimes, which carry a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison plus a potential fine of $10,000. Third-degree criminal sexual contact has a penalty of three to five years in prison plus a potential fine of $15,000, while second-degree aggravated criminal sexual contact carries a penalty of five to 10 years in prison plus a potential fine of $150,000.
Contact an Experienced Cherry Hill Criminal Defense Lawyer About Your Sex Crimes Charges in New Jersey
Were you arrested or charged with sex offenses in New Jersey? The consequences of a conviction could be severe, leaving you with a permanent criminal record and possibly even sending you to jail. That is why you need to speak with a qualified criminal defense attorney as soon as possible about your case. The attorneys at Aydelotte & Scardella Law LLC have successfully represented clients charged with sex offenses in Cherry Hill, Haddon Township, Camden, and throughout New Jersey. Call 856-246-5576 or fill out the online contact form to schedule a consultation with a member of our legal team. We have an office located at 313 White Horse Pike, First Floor Haddon Heights, NJ 08035, in addition to offices located in Hamilton.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.